hit tracker Dave Shields Author Blog: Hmm. I'm anti-establishment.

A journal detailing my efforts to launch my career as a novelist. The goals are to share info about succeeding in this field with other aspiring authors, to provide updates to the many supporters who have asked me for them, and ultimately to build the momentum necessary to assure success in this venture.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Hmm. I'm anti-establishment.

My wife gave me an interesting piece of news last night. She said, "I just figured out something about you. You an anti-establishment guy. I never dreamed I would have married someone like that because I'm so pro-establishment."

I don't think she was asking for a way out of our relationship (though I have misread things before), but I do know she was right about at least some of what she said. There is no one more pro-establishment than the love of my life. If someone posts a rule, she will bend over backwards making certain to obey it. It's almost comical. So, at least in comparison to her, I'm anti-establishment. Maybe that's why we are such a good team. Over the years I've delivered a lot of great adventures by forcing her to occasionally walk on the grass. Over that same period of time she's warned me back onto the sidewalk a few opportune times. Then there was the night when we (along with six others) found ourselves on foot, a mile from our vehicles, on the Serengetti Plains. That was great fun until we realized that we were surrounded by a pack of salivating hyenas. Where was the sidewalk on that day?

And now that I think of it, in a macro sense she is also correct. (She always is.) I would never have taken the risks I have if I didn't have a tendency to overlook the obstacles that rules and customs can impose. Just look at how those risks have paid off. If I hadn't gone off-roading with my career there is a fair chance I'd have established a secure and stable living with a six figure income over the past ten years instead of the tenuous, edge-of-the-seat living that I have provided my family. What fun would that have been? I'm glad I thought this through this way. My wife won't know how to properly thank me once I explain everything to her in these terms.

So, speaking of off-road careers, I'll continue with my story about how I managed to manufacture the fix we're currently in. Once circumstances dictated that the only way my book would be available before the 2004 Tour de France was if I self-published I became a whirling dervish, gathering funds, working with my typesetter, hiring an artist for cover design, reading books by Dan Poynter and others regarding setting up such a company, joining Publishers Marketing Association and taking advantage of the opportunities they presented, contracting a printer, and much more. By early January, remarkably, it was obvious that I would get the book out on time. There was just one problem. How would I make the world aware that my new tome existed? Oh boy, did I still have a lot to learn.

Until next time,
Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home