hit tracker Dave Shields Author Blog: The Power of Truth

A journal detailing my efforts to launch my career as a novelist. The goals are to share info about succeeding in this field with other aspiring authors, to provide updates to the many supporters who have asked me for them, and ultimately to build the momentum necessary to assure success in this venture.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Power of Truth

As Lance Armstrong is learning, it's pretty difficult to bury the truth. Liars have been known to use all sorts of techniques to protect their stories, but ultimately the truth is a powerful force. Even though Armstrong had a lot at stake, there are a whole lot of others who had skin in the game, too, and once Lance wasn't in a position to influence the peloton, the media, the governing body over cycling and others, the truth came crashing down on top of him. Clearly the weight of the deception became more than he could bear.

There's no doubt that Armstrong benefited greatly from his lies. Estimates put his net worth at $100 million, but he's almost entirely lacking in the sort of wealth that matters most. Few things are more important than solid relationships, trust and reputation. Lance's confession must be motivated, at least in part, by an effort to regain those things. My hope is that he's decided to offer a sincere apology that not only takes responsibility for the people he's tried to hurt, but attempts to repair the damage. Is that what I'm expecting to hear? No. Unfortunately I think it's much more likely that Armstrong continues to hide behind the types of deception and manipulation of perception that have worked so well for him in the past. This time, though, a lot more people are likely to see right through them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Joe Damon (Joeprogress Blogspot) said...

Hey Dave,
You commented on my BLOG. back on May 5, 2010, per;
Hey Joe,
I just stumbled upon your post. I hope you are doing well. I'm glad you found some good information in the book. It was an amazing experience to work with Saul in writing it.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields
I don't recall if I replied then, however I am now. I've just dusted off my BLOG and I'd like to share my reasons for doing so, which might interest you. Rather than make this posting "all about me", I'm not inclined to leave an email address on your BLOG, if you have some way of contacting me, feel free, or figure a way to share an e/m address with me.

I see that your BLOG's had a few revivals, so I don't hold out much hope for a response, which kinda gives you permission to blow this off.

BTW, your comment closing to my BLOG is a real class act. i.e.tailwinds!
Joe

4:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home