hit tracker Dave Shields Author Blog: The Opportunity Explosion

A journal detailing my efforts to launch my career as a novelist. The goals are to share info about succeeding in this field with other aspiring authors, to provide updates to the many supporters who have asked me for them, and ultimately to build the momentum necessary to assure success in this venture.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Opportunity Explosion

It's been an exciting and overwhelming time. As recognition for The Race increases, opportunities are springing up everywhere. I'm in the midst of designing an essay contest for readers of the book with prizes that you are not going to believe! In addition I've got four signings in the next two weeks at bicycling events here in Utah. Following that I have a whirlwind trip to the northeast where, for seven consecutive days, I'll be going back and forth between Wachovia Series bicycle races and Book Expo America events.

Before the week is through, if I'm fortunate, I will win a major book industry award. I also hope to further solidify the books standing in the cycling industry. I'm so thankful for all of the readers who are recommending my book to friends, and I know from experience that attending events like these aids that process. But my ultimate dream is to prove to mainstream readers that this book is a great read which people of all backgrounds will enjoy. I couldn't feel more confident in the books ability to electrify readers. In addition to the many traditional reviews I've received I get lots of e-mail from readers, including messages from non-cyclists and publishing industry experts. All of them praise the book. The reaction has exceeded my wildest expectation, and my expectations were wild.

With a new baby in the house (our third girl), a marketing consulting business to run, a 150,000 word book that I'm in the midst of critiquing for an associate, a sequel to The Race that is still going to require a pair of rewrites including a quick trip to France, ongoing publicity opportunities and efforts, a long list of publishing requirements for the new book (cover design, pdf interior charts, typesetting, etc.), freelance articles, and many more obligations I feel like an elephant juggler. It's hard work keeping all these babies airborne, but it sure is satisfying.

I can't thank my many supporters enough, and I hope you'll continue checking back here to see how things are progressing during this exciting time. I'll update as often as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home