hit tracker Dave Shields Author Blog: Where's My Helmet?

A journal detailing my efforts to launch my career as a novelist. The goals are to share info about succeeding in this field with other aspiring authors, to provide updates to the many supporters who have asked me for them, and ultimately to build the momentum necessary to assure success in this venture.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Where's My Helmet?

Yesterday I had a wonderful evening speaking to Ben Driggs neighbors at his home. Ben and I took some very long (300 + miles) bike rides together when we were teenagers, and he reminded me of something I'd forgotten. We didn't wear helmets. Times have sure changed.

I realize how lucky I am to have a friend like Ben, and I'm glad that we're in touch again after a long hiatus. It's interesting that last night I realized I'd named my protagonist in my cycling novels in his honor. When selecting a name for a character an author obviously looks for one that, to them, carries the qualities that they see in their fictional cast member. Without question, Ben Driggs is the reason that I used Ben for the hero in my books. He proved to me last night that his character has only improved with age as he invited so many neighbors into his house to learn my story. His words to them proved that his expectations for my future are as big as my dreams. Thanks Ben!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home